Thursday 22 May 2014

PPP Evaluation

This year the PPP module has been an engaging and successful module. I started the year by sending out a mail shot to a studio which I had a particular interest in at the bottom of Leeds which I had identified as a studio which I had things in common with from previous PPP sessions, called Robot Food. This resulted in going in for an interview and organising a weeks experience in November. I really enjoyed my time at Robot Food and expressed my interest in returning whilst I was still there, I was invited back again in December. Being in the studio has influenced my personal design practice a lot this year, it has given me a more professional and informed way of tackling briefs and has also put more emphasis on research and audience and how it informs design. After Christmas I got back onto Robot Food as they had previously mentioned that they were looking at hiring a junior and managed to organise a third week. During this visit I managed to get involved with a brief more than I had before and impress the guys enough for them to offer me the junior design position starting in June. This was a direct result of the PPP module as what interested Robot Food in me was my experience at Big Fish, as well as my portfolio, as they thought that this company was very good at what they did and they cited them as their personal inspiration. This was a company that I identified last year and managed to do 2 weeks experience with over summer.

I think that continuously finding new work and designers who inspire you is important when it comes to keeping your work up to date and exciting. This documentation and analysis of existing work is something that I want to continue doing in the future as I think that it helps you to decide what aspects of design are important and meaningful and which are just embellishment and stylistic. Throughout the year we have defined what makes us unique as designers and also as people, this time of self reflection has been very valuable and has enabled me to understand who I am as a professional. My presentation skills have also become more natural as we have done numerous presentations and I have found that if you have put the planning time in it takes the nerves out a lot.

Overall I have enjoyed this module and it has been invaluable in educating me about the 'real', non-education side of design and how work changes from being a student going into a professional working environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment